Funding Opportunity for CMK – Deadline January 30th!
We have learned a few lessons from thirteen years of running Constructing Modern Knowledge.
- Empowered educators, empower children.
- Educators are capable, competent, and creative.
- Modern knowledge construction is impossible without access to traditional materials, books, tools, supplies, and cutting-edge technology.
- Educators profit immeasurably by spending time in the company of brilliant colleagues, faculty, and guest speakers.
- Educators deserve high-quality professional development that treats them as professionals.
- Replacing your teacher hat with a learner hat for just four days pays remarkable dividends for teachers and the communities they serve.
For those, and countless other reasons, we spend all year preparing to create the utopian learning environment for educators that is Constructing Modern Knowledge. CMK 2020 continues our desire for every educator on earth to experience remarkable and personal learning adventures.
Although we work tirelessly to keep registration costs low and learning materials abundant (without sponsors, vendors, or government funding), we recognize that any PD investment may be difficult for educators. Therefore, we are happy to share information on how you might receive financial assistance to participate in Constructing Modern Knowledge 2020.
Fund for Teachers will pay registration, travel, housing, and meal costs for “fellows” that pass muster in their grant proposals.
Here are a few things you need to know before you read all of the other advice and rules found on their web site.
- The deadline for applications is January 30, 2020.
- They do not want you to “copy” text directly from web sites or other sources. Therefore, we are not sharing sample text to help with your application writing. However, do stress the unique/personal/interdisciplinary/collaborative/active aspects of CMK.
- Sources must be cited.
- You need to teach in the USA, and your teaching duties must be at least 50% of your work.
- You need to have at least three years teaching experience, including the year of your application. In other words, this can be your third year as a teacher.
- Teams of educators may apply under one application (up to a total of $10,000) and with separate cover pages.
- I am honestly unsure if independent or parochial school educators are eligible for funding.
- Follow the application guidelines closely and adhere to word counts. For example, here are some of the (elevator pitch) brief descriptions that have been funded in the past.
- Be sure to peruse their proposal suggestions and database of funded projects.
- Do read these web pages about CMK for inspiration. Remember, don’t copy that floppy! Cite sources!
- Ask for help from colleagues with grant writing or development expertise.
- Ask a friend to proofread your application before submitting it.
- The NEA offers some sound grant writing tips.
Budget assistance for your proposed budget
- Air, bus, or rail travel – ???
- Economy airfare only
- Fly into MHT or BOS
- Car travel
- Estimate rental car cost based on current gasoline prices. For personal vehicles, calculate the mileage at a rate of $.58/mile. Grant funding can only cover mileage or gasoline, not both.
- Hotel $142/day, plus tax X 4 or 5 days
- Meals < $50/day ($200 max)
- Constructing Modern Knowledge Registration – $755 prior to April 1.
- If you earn the grant, we will honor the early-bird rate. (contact us)
- Pre-institute workshop registration (optional – one only)
- $135 Introduction to Learning with Electronics
- $250 Reggio Emilia-Style Documentation of Learning (details to be announced very soon)
Public school educators may also apply for funding via DonorsChoose.
We will be providing specific information about this option in the coming days.
Posted January 7, 2020 in: Event by garystager