In addition to learning with a mountain of materials while supported by our amazing faculty, educators attending Constructing Modern Knowledge have come to enjoy interacting with remarkable guest speakers. The 14th Constructing Modern Knowledge summer institute, July 11-14, 2023 is no exception.
We want CMK participants to return home able to say, “I spent time with one of my heroes,” or “My favorite education author helped with my project,” rather than “I heard X speak.” Since inception, CMK has punched above its weight in this regard. Just check out the former speakers who have participated.
Ask yourself, “where else can I experience such learning opportunities?”
This summer’s guest speakers include:
- Gareth Stockdale: lead designer of the BBC micro:bit and CEO of the micro:bit Educational Foundation
- Charlie Rosen: composer, orchestrator, player of 70 instruments, Tony/Obie/Grammy winner. Leader of the 8-Bit Big Band.
- Cynthia Solomon: Mother of Educational Computing and co-designer of the Logo programming language
- Daniel Lynn Watt: Scientist, member of the original Logo research group at MIT, author of one of the most popular computer programming books ever written for teachers, progressive educator.
- Molly Lynn Watt: Teacher, administrator, author, speaker, progressive educator.
- John Stetson: Master bricoleur and at-risk educator
- Howard Gardner: MacArthur Genius educator, philosopher, author, scholar, father of multiple intelligences theory. Professor Gardner will lead a virtual fireside chat, exclusively for CMK participants.
Oh, did I forget to mention the July 10th full-day Scintillae (pre-institute) workshop led by master educators from Reggio Emilia, Italy?